Monday, October 14, 2013

CHRONIC INFLAMMATION

What is chronic inflammation?

Inflammation seems to be the new “buzz” word.  I always thought inflammation was just when I had something like a sprained ankle.  Little did I know there can be inflammation in and around organs, the reason for so many of our health issues etc. etc.

My rheumatoid arthritis? It stems from inflammation.  Inflammatory bowel disease, eczema? Also stem from inflammation.  “But chronic inflammation has now been connected to many modern diseases from obesity, diabetes, and high blood pressure, to Alzeheimers,  osteoporosis, Parkinson’s, cancer, and even depression," according to Marcelle Pick, Ob/gyn NP. 

There’s a difference between Western medicine and Functional medicine.  Western medicine primarily has a pathology orientation.  For example, when they look at our lab results, they see if we’re within the “normal, average” range.  I don’t know about you, but I’ve always felt we are each different and our numbers need to be what is right for each of us individually – not an average.  Functional medicine, however, looks at what is true for each individual and even more important what is the cause of what is happening?  Functional medicine views “chronic and degenerative illnesses – and even biological aging – as rooted in chronic inflammation.”  (To clarify, I am NOT opposed to Western medicine as it does have its place. What I am in favor of is getting all the information and finding the cause in order to avoid continuing the problem.  I want to make an informed decision about my health.)

The list of symptoms chronically associated with low-grade chronic inflammation include:

·         Body aches and pains
·         Congestion
·         Frequent infections
·         Diarrhea
·         Dry eyes
·         Indigestion
·         Shortness of breath
·         Skin outbreaks
·         Swelling and/or stiffness
·         Weight gain/obesity

“We all need a measure of inflammation to survive.  Acute inflammation is the short-term immune response our bodies mount in cases of trauma, infection, and allergy.”  When all is working as it should, our bodies “release pro-inflammatory compounds when needed and turning them off with anti-inflammatory compounds when the threat has been sufficiently addressed.”

Chronic inflammation is when the normal response is not completely turned off.  My rheumatoid arthritis was my body fighting against itself and the inflammation continued causing the extreme pain and stiffness.  Another example of inflammation is my slight sensitivity to gluten. It isn't enough for me to completely eliminate gluten, but I do have to pay attention.  Some of our health issues may begin as small inconveniences such as gas, bloating, and discomfort in our digestive system.  (By the way, the digestive system has been referred to as the “second brain.”) I, for one, use to have the mindset that these effects were just an inconvenience.  I didn't pay attention to the fact that every time I ate a lot of bread I had these “symptoms.”  Just like I didn't associate my extreme level of stress which, for me, turned chronic inflammation in my hands and feet into my rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis.  The “root of chronic inflammation is an imbalanced immune system.”

My main message is to first pay attention to what is going on in your body, pay attention to what you’re eating and then observe how your body responds.  You may need to keep a journal to watch for patterns and frequency. Our bodies are incredible miracles. Learning more is a key to that health and being the best we can be.


No more excuses that you don’t have time to keep a journal.  Remember…what that really means is you’re not willing to make your health a priority.  Our health should be our NUMBER ONE INVESTMENT. 

No comments:

Post a Comment