Monday, September 16, 2013

Do You Believe in Luck?

Do you believe in luck?  Would you consider yourself a lucky or unlucky person?  Once again, we want to put ourselves into a box with a label.  I find myself saying things like…why bother to even put my name into the drawing, I never win anything.  Yet, I can always point to someone else who “seems to have all the luck.”

Richard Branson was asked if he felt like luck played a part in his success.  Read his answer, “Yes, of course, we are all lucky.  If you live in a free society, you are lucky.  Luck surrounds us every day; we are constantly having lucky things happen to us, whether we recognize it or not.  I have not been any more lucky or unlucky than anyone else.  The difference is when luck came my way, I took advantage of it.”
What a great response.  I have added to my list of gratitudes at the end of each day, the fact that I live in a free society and am able, as a woman, to pursue my dreams.  I have on a new pair of “glasses” to be sure I’m NOT taking things for granted such as living in this country and having the freedoms that we have.  I AM LUCKY.

Darren Hardy has this to say in his Compound Effect book, “we often hear that luck is when opportunity meets preparation, but that isn't enough.”  Darren added two other critical components to that word “luck.”

“The (Complete) Formula for Getting Lucky:
Preparation (personal growth) +
Attitude (belief/mindset) +
Opportunity (a good thing coming your way) +
Action (doing something about it) =
LUCK”

Here we go again….I need to take full responsibility for what has happened in my life – good or bad, right or wrong, success or failure…
The late Jim Rohn says, “The day you graduate from childhood to adulthood is the day you take full responsibility for your life….embrace the fact that you are freed by your choices, as long as you assume personal responsibility for them.  It’s time to make the choice to take control.”  No more blame, finger pointing, “poor me” attitude etc. etc. (nonresourceful feelings) Metacognition…be conscious of your decisions.

Jim also has said, “ What’s simple to do is also simple not to do.
The biggest difference between successful and unsuccessful people is…who’s willing to do what others are not willing to do?”  Vince Poscente talks about this in his book, The Ant and the Elephant.  There are many well known self development authors who are saying the same things, just different words.  Personally, when I finally got to the place I was ready to learn I’m “seeing” these common threads all around me.  (Isn't that the same as when I’m looking for a particular car, that particular car is all I see.  It’s not that there really are more of them, it’s because I’m alert to it.


Lucky?  YES, I AM!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment